Friday, December 10, 2010

Dragon growth chart - step 1 and 2

My little boy's first birthday is coming up, the 25th of December. He is our little Christmas present ! For his birthday I am making him a wooden growth chart in the shape of a dragon. Why a dragon, because mommy loves them and because all the rest of his room is already in the Dragon and Knight theme.  

Before any steps can be taken I need materials. First I need a 6' X 1' X 3/4" pin plank. To cut out my shape I need a jigsaw with the finest blades and sand paper to smooth it out. At last I need acrylic paint to make it into a dragon. I use the Americana acrylics. You can apply white primer paint before painting with acrylics, but it is not mandatory.











  1. Pin plank 6'X1'X3/4"
  2. Jigsaw with finest blades
  3. sand paper
  4. primer (optional)
  5. acrylic paint
The first step consists of drawing a sketch of the dragon on paper. Here's mine

When satisfied with the sketch continue onto step 2; draw it on the wooden plank with a pencil. Lines may be erased easily if needed. Before cutting my shape out I use a black pen felt to trace the outer line that need to be cut along. Here is how it looks like on wood. I hope you can see it well.


In step 3 I will have to master the jigsaw, but that will have to wait since my darlings are sound asleep :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment