Friday, December 3, 2010

Oil painting of "In the dark runs the wild" - Step 1

I love horses. One of my favorite painters is Marcia Baldwin who does an amazing job at painting horses with character, temper using beautiful color combination. I already tried reproducing my favorite of her pieces the "Blue ghost equine" (http://fineartamerica.com/featured/blue-ghost-equine-art-original-oil-marcia-baldwin.html) Well it isn't too bad, considering it was my second painting ever. But with pride I had to forge my own style and here is what I came up with. Well first I found a horse picture that capture the horse's wild temper.


I found this picture on google and felt in love. Because I'm not very comfortable sketching on a canvas, I painted my version of this horse in photoshop. You can fin the digital version in my portfolio

Now comes the Oil painting project. Today I made the sketch on my canvas using the yellow ochre which I was told by my dear mother in law can be covered with any other color without problem.



Well the horse's position differs  a bit from the picture but that's ok since the digital painting I made does so as well and that is how I like it. So now I have to let it dry beacause unfortunatly I do not have time to work  on it again today and tomorrow would be too late. With Oil I was told, again by my terrefic mother in law, you can work on your painting all day with  or without breaks, but the next day it's too late and you have to wait till the painting dries which depending on the thickness of paint applied may takes several days even weeks.

Oil painting takes patience or kids which don't allow you to work on a piece that often ! :-)


So here is step 2 of the painting




Step 3

I'm becoming very satisfied with the end result of this one. Love the rad color and the horse movement. I still need to work on the ground texture and the horse hair on the head  and a few more details now and there.


No comments:

Post a Comment