Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Oil Painting of "The white sage's hunt" - The snow

In my previous post I wrote about my many attempts to create my dream sky for the snowy owl. Well this time I had bit more luck at my endeavours with the snow. I actually succeeded to create some texture on the ground with the knife tool. Maybe I'm beginning to understand it...or it might just be one of those lucky beginner tries.

Here is the previous version and the new one. (The color difference is due to lighting, the first picture was taken during the day with natural light and the second with artificial light)

 Old

 New

Don't be fooled by the beautiful white highlights on the snow texture's edges; those were the effect of my camera's flash. I do fin them really cool, so in the next step I will try to replicate them with actual paint.  I also hope to be able to add some spring long yellow grass, shadows in the snow and details to the mountains.

If you look closely and compare both versions, in the new version I've added details and highlights on the owl. I've added, dark blue highlights in the feathers, on the face and around the wings, yellow highlights on the wings and on the top of the head, details in the eye's color. I've also added some yellow highlights in the sky.

I've tried to create a bit more depth by painting some of the mountains lighter to show they're further away, but they are still lacking details.

I take little steps, but with each one I feel like I bring it to a hole new level ! I may go to sleep as I am satisfied for today and more news in about a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment